Top Chicago Companies
Chicago remains home to many large and well-established companies across various industries. Whether you’re seeking new career opportunities or considering a relocation within the city, the presence of these leading companies is a major drawing force.
In this post, we’ll explore some of the top companies in Illinois to work for and the largest employers in Chicago. We’ll also discuss the neighborhoods where you can find these industry powerhouses catering to various sectors, including airline, technology, financial services, and pharmaceuticals.
The Airline Industry
One of the key industries in Chicago is the airline sector. O’Hare International Airport and Midway International Airport are major hubs, making Chicago a vital transportation center. With the presence of companies like United Airlines and Boeing, there are plenty of opportunities for professionals seeking a career in the airline industry. The city’s strategic location as a transportation hub also facilitates connectivity to numerous destinations worldwide.
Neighborhood Spotlight: Bucktown
Bucktown is an ideal and vibrant spot for individuals working in the airline industry due to its proximity to O’Hare International Airport. Located just around 15 miles from O’Hare, Bucktown offers convenience for airline professionals with its easy access to the airport, making commuting manageable and efficient. It’s also a lively area filled with an eclectic mix of boutiques, restaurants, cafes, and art galleries
The Technology Sector in Chicago
The technology industry has been proliferating in Chicago, with numerous startups and established companies setting up shop in the city. Firms like Google and Groupon have chosen Chicago as their home, contributing to the city’s growing reputation as a tech hub. If you’re considering a tech career, Chicago is a great place to be.
Neighborhood Spotlight: West Loop
Chicago stands as a thriving hub for financial prowess, boasting a skyline peppered with the headquarters of numerous influential financial companies. From established giants to burgeoning startups, the city plays host to a diverse array of financial institutions, including the Chicago Mercantile Exchange (CME), Northern Trust Corporation, and the global presence of JPMorgan Chase.
Neighborhood Spotlight: The Loop
Living in The Loop places you at the epicenter of Chicago’s financial world and the heart of the city. With easy access to major financial institutions, you’ll be at the heart of the action.
The pharmaceutical industry in Chicago is also thriving. Companies like AbbVie and Takeda Pharmaceuticals have a strong presence in the city, offering job opportunities for professionals in this field. Chicago’s robust healthcare and research environment further supports the pharmaceutical industry’s growth.
Neighborhood Spotlight: Illinois Medical District
The Illinois Medical District is an ideal location for those in the pharmaceutical and healthcare sectors. With several leading hospitals and research facilities, it provides an ecosystem for career growth in healthcare-related fields.
While we’ve highlighted some of the prominent sectors in Chicago, more industries are growing and thriving in the city. Here are some additional sectors to consider:
- Insurance: Chicago is a hub for insurance companies, offering numerous career opportunities.
- Hospitality: With its vibrant restaurant scene, tourism, and event industry, Chicago is an excellent place for those interested in hospitality and tourism management.
- Sustainability and Innovation: As sustainability and innovation become increasingly important, more companies in these sectors are emerging in Chicago.
Neighborhoods for Every Industry
Depending on your industry, consider living in a neighborhood that aligns with your career goals. Let’s explore some of the Chicago neighborhoods that cater to different industries.
- The Loop: Downtown Chicago, also known as “The Loop,” is the city’s central business district. It’s the heart of Chicago’s financial sector, with the Chicago Board of Trade and the Chicago Mercantile Exchange located here. If you’re looking to work in finance, this is the place to be.
- West Loop: West Loop is becoming increasingly known as Chicago’s tech hub, with companies like Google and numerous tech startups. Living here allows tech professionals to be at the center of innovation and networking opportunities.
- Oak Brook: For those seeking a suburban lifestyle while still being close to corporate headquarters, Oak Brook is an attractive option. It’s home to numerous businesses and a short commute from downtown Chicago.
- Lincoln Park: Lincoln Park offers a mix of tech companies, cultural attractions, and a vibrant lifestyle. Professionals in the tech sector will find this neighborhood appealing.
- Lakeview: Lakeview is another neighborhood that offers opportunities in the tech sector. Its proximity to Lake Michigan and diverse cultural scene make it an attractive place to live and work.
- Uptown: Uptown, situated on the North Side, is a convenient location for those working in the airline industry, with easy access to O’Hare International Airport.
Chicago is not only a city of rich history and culture but also a thriving business hub with opportunities across various industries. Regardless of what industry you find yourself in or aspire to become a part of, the Windy City has something to offer. By choosing the right neighborhood, you can position yourself at the heart of your industry’s action.
If you are ready to narrow down your neighborhood and live near the top companies in Illinois to work for, let our knowledgeable and experienced real estate team support you in your journey!
Top Companies Headquartered in Chicago by Neighborhood
When considering a move to Chicago, it’s essential to not only focus on the city’s cultural and lifestyle aspects but also the professional opportunities […]
Costs of Living in Chicago for a Single Person with Rent
If you’re considering relocating or moving to the Windy City solo, Luxury Living wants to help you prepare financially. In this post, we’ll dive […]
Best Companies to Work for in Chicago in 2023
Chicago, known for its bustling urban environment and thriving business landscape, offers a plethora of opportunities for job seekers. While many people are familiar […]
Now Leasing: Maeve on Ashland in West Loop
If you’re seeking upscale living and unprecedented convenience, look no further than the newest addition to the West Loop neighborhood: Maeve on Ashland. Chic […]