How to Furnish an Apartment from Scratch
Moving into your first apartment or looking to start over? Here is how to furnish an apartment from scratch:
- Begin with Inspiration. Before executing any real furnishing plans, it is worth gathering some ideas first. This step is especially vital for those who have never furnished a space before. Check out online publications or Pinterest boards for some direction. If you want more one-on-one support, consider teaming up with an interior designer or home decorator.
- Define the style. Once you have a better grasp on furnishing possibilities, decide what overall look and feel you want for your space. While each room may have its own theme or unique look, it does help to have some uniformity throughout the apartment. Maybe you want to keep everything sleek and simple. Or perhaps you love the retro vibe of mid-century modern decor. Whatever your preference is, having this in mind will help you pick out everything, from your large furniture to your accent pieces.
- Set the budget. While unlimited spending would be ideal, chances are you will need to determine how much you can set aside for furnishing. Consider starting with the big purchases first, like your couch or bed, and then move on to the smaller items to make the most of your budget.
- Focus on large pieces first. Not only do bigger home pieces tend to cost you more, but they are also statement pieces in a home. Once these items are decided upon and moved into your apartment, it is easier to sort out the smaller details.
- Know where to look. Do some research before you begin your shopping. Compare different home stores, both brick-and-mortar and online. There are plenty of design stores throughout the city, but you can expect to find many of them in the River North area. For something significant, like a couch, you may want to first see the item in person to can test it out. You may also decide to try thrifting, especially if you are someone who loves hunting for old vintage finds.
- Take your time. It may be refreshing to remind yourself that you don’t need to furnish your apartment overnight, nor can you. Don’t be in a hurry to get everything at once. People tend to collect items over time and slowly add to their home.
With a better understanding of how to furnish an apartment from scratch, enjoy the process of making your space feel like home! If you are looking to move to a new apartment in Chicago and get a fresh start, an experienced LLCR broker can help. Connect with one of our team members today.
Searching for more apartment furnishing tips and tricks? Check out our guide below!
Search The Blog
Our Expert Apartment Finding Tips Will Answer Your Toughest Questions
10 Companies Headquartered in Chicago
The 7 Neighborhoods of Downtown Chicago
Follow Us on Social
YOUR INSIDE LOOK AT WHAT'S NEW ON IGView on Social
The Only Checklist You’ll Need for Furnishing an Apartment
Whether you’re moving across the country, in with a roommate, or making the switch to a new apartment on your own, moving into a […]
Do Apartments Come Furnished? Answering One of the Top Questions From Our Clients
Our clients are always asking a couple of essential questions about apartment furnishings – do our apartments come furnished? Is it better to get […]
How to Furnish a Small Apartment
Maximizing limited space is crucial if you live in a small apartment. We have some tips on how to furnish a small apartment so […]
The Complete Chicago Guide to Furnishing an Apartment
Just moved to Chicago, or looking to upgrade your space? Finding an apartment that fits your lifestyle is crucial, but adequately furnishing an apartment […]